Friday, March 22, 2019

April Showers and BLUE



I made this liberated free pieced barn
as a teaching sample for my book
BUILD A BARN - No Pattern Construction
back in March of 2016.

A week or so ago, I received an invitation
to participate in the upcoming regional
BLUE quilt challenge
and I thought of this sample block.




In order to make it a bit more BLUE,
I changed the barnyard to a field of blue bonnets
and adjusted the overall measurements
to meet the required 24" x 24" dimensions.




Pin basted and ready to quilt . . . 





Quilted and bound.

For some reason, this one is tricky to photograph.

The light and angle make a huge difference
in the photographed colors - especially the sky.




This black and white version
shows off the quilted texture of the barn yard.

My free form double clamshell 
was inspired by one of LuAnn Kessi's sketch pages.




And here is the same photo in living color.

I quilted the blue bonnets with Glide thread in Royal.




I also quilted the silo using Royal thread
with a design inspired by Leah Day's Monster Teeth.




The silo's texture shows up better in black and white.




The sky was quilted using 
Affinity variegated thread in Aquamarine.

The barn itself was quilted with  Royal
and the door/windows with Hawaiian Blue.

double-click to supersize this image


I still need to make/add the label
and attach the already-made hanging sleeve,
but there is no problem meeting
 the April 1 entry deadline.

* * *

BLUE will be on display at Crosstown Concourse 
(Memphis, TN)
from May 10 through July 28, 2019.

BLUE is just one aspect of
which will feature other events including a 
Community Quilt making event with Maria Shell.

* * *


If you've never tried building a barn of your own,
get an autographed copy of my book 
BUILD A BARN-No Pattern Construction
 directly from me for almost the same 
price as Amazon Prime.

 ($15.00 plus $7.50 domestic USPS Priority Mail shipping)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking time to share your thoughts!